Restored 1950s Park-O-Meters
A US patent for a parking meter was filed by Roger W. Babson in 1928. It called for a meter to be connected to the battery of a vehicle. The first installed meter was in Oklahoma City in 1935, and mass production began the following year. Ever since we’ve been dropping coins (and nowadays swipe cards) to park on city streets.
Manufactured by the Magee-Hale Park-O-Meter Company in the 1950s, these parking meters have been fully restored and painted in a variety of colors. These were once a common sight in every downtown district, but are a rare sight nowadays. The parking rate for these meters was 2 hours for a nickel.
The items on this page are not for sale. We show restored items in our museum for viewing, information and to further the hobby of collecting and restoration. We also just want to share the photos of the many items we have restored over the years.