Vintage Detroit Police Call Box
The use of police telephones dates back to 1877, with the early official and public use in the US being in 1883 (Washington, DC). What started as “booths”, complete with stool, became a simple box mounted on a post or wall.
Detroit Police Call Box
This aluminum call box was manufactured for the Detroit Police Department in the mid-1900s. Made by The Gamewell Company of New York, it was originally painted solid blue. We restored this with a black, white and gold color scheme. The slogan, “No Drugs” appears on the side. The telephone inside was made by Northern Electric in the ’40s or ’50s. This wall style model was called the Uniphone, and measures 16″ high by 11″ wide by 5″ deep.
Sorry, the item on this page are not for sale. We show restored items in our museum for viewing, information and to further the hobby of collecting and restoration. We also just want to share the photos of the many items we have restored over the years.