Retro Road Maps: Pure Oil Company
1960 Pure Oil Company Ohio Road Map
This Pure Oil Road Map was produced by the preeminent mapmaker, Rand McNally in 1960. It features the Ohio area including Columbus, Dayton, Cleveland, Akron and Toledo. The blue and white Pure logo is very prominently featured, as is the very modern looking service station, complete with brightly colored gas pumps and a uniformed service attendant.
The Ohio Cities Gas Company was founded in 1914 as an American petroleum company. In 1920 the name was changed to the Pure Oil Company and a few years later, they moved their headquarters to Chicago. By the 1930s, Pure gasoline was sold across the US in 32 states. In 1965 the oil company was sold to the Union Oil Company of California but maintained the Pure Oil Company name. The Pure logo appears to have changed little throughout the 50 years that it was used. Pure Oil was rebranded as Union 76 in 1970.