Retro Road Maps: Chevron Road Map of Arizona

Retro Staff |  Comments

This road map was issued and distributed about 1959 by Chevron gas stations. Chevron was a subdivision of Standard Oil of California with stations located in the western part of the United States. On the reverse of the map you can see the Chevron logo that utilizes the red, white and blue chevron design. Standard Oil first adopted this graphic for use in 1931 to symbolize quality and as an eye-catching design. During WWII, the “V” in Chevron was changed to a “winged V”, a symbol meaning “victory” that was intended to show support for the troops.

The artwork on this map is reflective of Arizona scenery and is an illustration of Picacho Peak State Park, one of many tourist destinations. On the back of the map is promotional copy describing the superior products and services at Chevron filling stations.

Share
Last updated: Jul 29, 2009
Filed under: Retro Road Maps Tagged with: Chevron, Standard Oil